Rhematology and Clinical Immunology, Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy
Chair of Rheumatology, University of Brescia, Italy
Director: Angela Tincani
Medical Staff: Paolo Airò, Franco Franceschini, Roberto Gorla, Ilaria Cavazzana, Micol Frassi, Paola Toniati, Marco Taglietti, Laura Andreoli, Chiara Bazzani, Stefania Zingarelli
Post-doc students in Rheumatology: Stefania Cartella, Cinzia Casu, Matteo Filippini, Micaela Fredi, Cecilia Nalli, Mirko Scarsi, Mara Taraborelli, Tamara Ziglioli
PhD (Laboratory): Flavio Allegri, Nice Carabellese, Graziella Carella, Alberto Malagoli, Marzia Quinzanini
Lab Coordinator: Antonio Pedrini (head of 12 technicians)
Nurses: Silvia Chiesa, Silvana Lamberti, Nicoletta Udeschini
Secretary: Patrizia Fratti, Cristina Prevosti
- To diagnose and treat rheumatic diseases, with particular focus on systemic autoimmune diseases.
- To do research on both clinical and laboratory aspects of autoimmunity.
The Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology is composed by an out-patient clinic/day hospital and a laboratory.
Clinical activity and related research:
- the department is a reference centre in Lombardy for the diagnosis and treatment of connective tissue diseases
- fields of interest:
- chronic inflammatory arthritides, with focus on “early rheumatoid arthritis” and the management of biologic treatments (more than 10 years of experience);
- systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid syndrome, with participation to international collaborative studies for the elaboration of guidelines and protocols;
- systemic sclerosis, with focus on both visceral involvement and ulcers related to Raynaud’s phenomenon; participation in international collaborative studies promoted by EUSTAR;
- undifferentiated connective tissue diseases, for the assessment of predictors of evolution toward a definite disease;
- management of pregnancy in patients with rheumatic diseases and follow-up of babies (transplacental passage of autoantibodies; neuro-psychological development).
- participation in several international clinical trials for the investigation of new drugs (Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic Sclerosis)
Laboratory (certified UNI EN ISO 9001: 2008):
- detection of autoantibodies by different techniques (immunofluorescence, ELISA, counterimmunoelectrophoresis, immunoblot); participation in national and international collaborative groups for the study and the standardization of autoantibodies assays;
- HLA genotyping, with particular activity in the field of transplantation;
- Cytometry: lymphocyte phenotyping; response to mitogens (for the diagnosis of immunodeficiency)